Homelessness Week 2019: 4-10 August01 Aug 2019, by Affordable Housing, Anti-Poverty, Blog, Community, Everybody's Home campaign, Homelessness, Housing & homelessness, Rental stress, Social housing in
We are all very much aware of the homeless issue in our Northern Rivers Region and for this year’s Homelessness Week, the theme is Housing ends homelessness.
Key messages are:
- Right now, more than 116,000 Australians are homeless
- On any given night in Australia, 1 in 200 people are homeless
- The main causes of homelessness are poverty, unaffordable rents, and family violence
- To fix these problems we need a national plan to end homelessness and a national housing strategy to deliver 500,000 social and affordable rental homes
- We need homes that people can afford to end homelessness
- Currently 195,000 Australians are on social housing waiting lists
- Despite the increased need, federal homelessness funding has remained static. 1-in -3 people were turned away from homelessness services last year due to a lack of resources .
This year, NCCH staff participated in “Wear a flannie to Work” Day on 7 August to help raise awareness. We also contributed to a food donation drive which was donated to local charity Our Two Hands. Here are some photos from our event …